Captain Garry's Blog

WELCOME FOLKS!  Don't forget to "Like" our site up top and drop a comment or tip in our forums to enter our contest!  

More fishing articles...

Support Our Sponsors! Check Out the Ad!

New Phone Friendly Forums!

Post In The Gallery or Forums and Win $10,000

Great New Features On Fishnfools.com!

• Powerful, Inviting

• Member Blogging

• Better Photos

• Enhanced Security

• Product Reviews

• Better Chat Feature

• Powerful Searching

• iPhone & Android Friendly

Photo
- - - - -

I have never got into a good Rock Scallop bed yet!

diving scallops

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Garry

Capt. Garry

Absolute Fishnfool!

• Administrators
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorth California

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I guess there are plenty of them, but I have never found a scallop bed yet when I was diving with or without tanks. I met some folks that had some huge ones and they said to look in about 40 to 80 feet of water on the north side of the rocks and in caves and darker places for them. I have searched quite a bit, but no luck. And, nobody gives up their scallop honey-hole and I don't blame them. The water is so murkey most of the time where I dive in Northern Calif that finding anything is a chore. Our water here in the ocean is usually rough, always ice cold, and usually pretty murkey, and by that I mean visibility of 15 or 20 feet is a great day. Sometimes, I am diving for abalone when you can only see 5 feet and spear fishing is out of the question. Now if you get 10 or so feet, and you spearfish in shallow water, it works and some of my nicest fish have come from shallow water. One time I speared a 12 pound ling cod in water I could stand up to my chest in!

Anybody got any good tips or advise????

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diving, scallops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users